Bulk Trash Collection
Regular Bulk Trash Pickup
The Solid Waste Division provides weekly regular bulk trash pickup without charge for up to one-half truckload (12.5 cubic yards).
Note that the City of South Miami Code of Ordinances, section 11-32 entitled "Refuse collection fee schedule; single-family residential recycling fee", states, "Trash pickup in excess of one-half truck load is to be charged at $156 per one-half truck load or any part thereof."
In an effort to improve services and maintain clean streets, we suggest that you bag all lawn clippings and place them in the automated garbage container on your regularly scheduled garbage pickup days (twice-per-week).
Acceptable Bulk Trash
Acceptable Bulk Trash
- Bagged general household debris
- Bagged yard clippings, to include leaves and grass
- Broken Down Cardboard Boxes
- Branches and shrubs (should be cut in lengths of 5ft feet or less)
Other Requirements & Tips
- Residents MUST NOT share Trash Piles.
- Residents must monitor their trash piles for Violations.
- Bulk Trash may be placed outside for a maximum of 7 days prior to an assigned trash collection day.
- Trash must be placed in front of each residence.
- Trash must not be placed on drains in streets or water meter boxes.
- Domestic trash, other than grass, hedge clippings, leaves, branches, and vines shall be placed in containers or bundled in lengths of 5ft or less and have a weight of no more than fifty pounds.
- Trash shall be placed in rights of way not more than five feet from edges of pavement and at least three feet from mailboxes, parked cars, trees, utility poles, or other obstructions.
- Trash placed less than three feet from mailboxes, parked cars, trees, utility poles or other obstructions may not be picked up and property owner may be fined.
Additional Acceptable Special Bulk Trash ($75 per item)
The below additional special bulk trash is prohibited in landfills and will only be picked up by Solid Waste Division as a special service, with the charge of $75 per item.
- Air conditioners
- Refrigerators (Doors must be removed!)
- Stoves (Doors must be removed!)
- Water Heaters
- Furniture (Chairs, cabinets, mattress's, tables, sofa's, etc.)
Other Special Bulk Trash Requirements & Tips
- May only be placed outside for a maximum of 24 hours prior to an assigned collection day.
- Must be placed in front of each residence.
- Must not be placed on drains in streets or water meter boxes.
- Items shall be placed in rights of way not more than five feet from edges of pavement and at least three feet from mailboxes, parked cars, trees, utility poles, or other obstructions.
- Items placed less than three feet from mailboxes, parked cars, trees, utility poles or other obstructions may not be picked up and property owner may be fined.
Unacceptable Bulk Trash
The following items are NOT acceptable and shall NOT be left out for pick-up:
- Wood, Decks, Roofing Material, Fencing and etc.
- Boats or parts
- Construction and remodeling debris
- Dirt or sod
- Highly flammable materials
- Motorcycles or parts
- Old vehicles or parts
- Paint, Paint Cans
- Toxic materials
Property owner is responsible for disposal of construction and remodeling debris. If contractors are employed, then they should be responsible for disposing the debris. Therefore, property owner shall discuss the responsibility and methods of disposing the debris before signing any agreements with contractors.
VIOLATIONS WILL BE CITED - Trash collection is governed by City of South Miami Code of Ordinances, Chapter 11, Garbage and Trash.